Have you been noticing more strands on your hairbrush or shower lately? You know that feeling when you’re scrubbing away at your hair in the shower and as you run your finger through it, clumps of it stick to your hands. Panic, right? Well, no need to!
Chances are, you are just dealing with seasonal hair loss. As summer transitions into autumn, many of us notice changes in our hair. After a hot and sunny season, it's not uncommon to experience more hair shedding, particularly among women.
So what exactly happens in autumn that leads you to lose more hair? Is seasonal hair loss normal? And can you minimize the fall out? On today’s blog we’ll answer all your question and share with you some tips and products to combat this seasonal hair loss!
Is seasonal hair loss normal?
The shedding of hair is simply a part of its normal growth cycle (we usually shed between 50 and 100 hairs every day, and that’s totally normal). On a regular day, 90% of your hair follicles are in the anagen phase, (the active growth phase) and about 10% in the telogen phase, the resting phase, at which point the hair falls out, making room for new growth.
During the months of autumn and winter, the scalp begins to shed hair at a much quicker rate, and even though there is no scientific explanation for it, it’s pretty common, especially among women. Some researchers suggest that the stress brought on by summer sun exposure on our scalp may be the reason behind it. Others believe that during the summer, we need more hair to protect us from direct sunlight, and at the beginning of fall, all that protection isn’t needed so it falls out.
Whatever the reason, if you have been properly caring for your hair and scalp, you shouldn’t worry about seasonal hair shedding,as it just follows its growth cycle and you’ll be back to your normal shed hair rate in a few weeks.
Haircare Tips for Autumn
While autumnal hair loss is a regular part of the seasonal cycle, there are steps you can take to minimize the fall out:
1. Thoughtful Shampoo Selection: Opt for a shampoo containing mild cleansing agents and active ingredients that fortify your hair.
The Hair Strengthening Shampoo from Thicker Fuller Hair clear the way for wholesome body and healthy volume. A total reset for thin and thinning hair, this 100% vegan formula harnesses the power of nature’s nutrients to free your scalp from follicle-clogging impurities and strengthen each individual strand.
The Viviscal Gorgeous Growth Densifying collection has a product for each part of your hair routine. Start with the shampoo and conditioner and finish applying the elixir. Its formula including a biotin, keratin and zinc, promotes the appearance of healthy looking hair growth.
2. Trim and Tidying Up: Regularly trimming your hair is crucial, but it's a practice we often overlook. After the sun's intense exposure during summer, a fresh start with a light trim can eliminate split ends and maintain healthy tips. And try cutting back on heat styling, tight hairstyles, and harsh hair as it could lead to more shedding.
3. Control frizz: Extreme humidity levels can make your hair frizzy, and that can also result in hair shedding. Apply the Virtue Un-Frizz Cream to eliminate frizz and block humidity to keep hair sleek, shiny, and soft. Its patented Alpha Keratin 60ku® protein binds directly to the hair, filling and smoothing cracks and crevices along the cuticle, no chemical treatments or heavy waxes needed. Ideal for frizzy, curly, wavy or thick hair.
4. Handle with Care: Treat your hair gently during both washing and combing. Try the Healthy Hair Brush 4-in-1 from Manta, an ultra-gentle brush for minimum hair breakage and maximum shine, and suitable for all hair types including fine, fragile, thick, curls, coils, children, men, and hair extension wearers.
5. Nutritional Support: Maintaining a balanced diet loaded with vitamins and minerals forms the basis of strong, healthy hair. Additionally, you might consider trying dietary supplements packed with particular vitamins, amino acids, and minerals that enhance hair resilience.
Viviscal Extra Strength dietary supplements contain the exclusive marine complex AminoMar®, as well as Biotin, Zinc, Vitamin C, Horsetail Extract and Iron, to nourish hair from within. It has been scientifically proven to nourish thinning hair and promote existing hair growth.
Remember, the shedding of hair during the fall is simply a part of the natural seasonal cycle. There's no need to dwell on it—it comes and goes with the seasons. However, if you're facing excessive hair shedding that persists beyond the seasonal changes, consider booking an appointment with a specialist to uncover the underlying cause.